This week’s track is Pompeii by Bastille off of the Bastille EP. On the outside the melody, drum beat, and slightly Enya-esque harmonies and the like make it seem like a fun upbeat indie pop song, but the lyrics give away perhaps a darker side to all that is saccarin.
“But if you close your eyes, / Does it almost feel like / Nothing changed at all?”
Super fun song all the same. Commence head bobbing and heel tapping.
This week’s track is Say That by Toto Y Moi, off of Anything In Return. Toro Y Moi came up quite a bit last year, but I’d never paid much attention to him. His latest album, Anything In Return came by my path last week and this song is a nice piece of upbeat eletropop. The rhythm is great, but the vocals are what hook me.
Like last year, here’s the list of music I’ve listened to most, as recorded by my scrobbling to Last.fm.
- Porter Robinson – 148 listens
- Nero – 124 listens
- Alex Clare – 114 listens
- Kaskade – 110 listens
- Hed Kandi – 108 listens
- Morgan Page – 103 listens
- Frank Ocean – 103 listens
- Lana Del Rey – 94 listens
- Miles Davis – 87 listens
- Crosses – 87 listens
- The Kooks – Naive (Jean Tonique Remix) – 42 listens
- Alex Clare – Up All Night – 34 listens
- Morgan Page – Fight For You – 32 listens
- Crosses – Telepathy – 32 listens
- Swedish House Mafia – One (Your Name) – 26 listens
- Ben Howard – The Fear (Moonlight Matters rework) – 26 listens
- Morgan Page – The Longest Road (Deadma5 remix) – 25 listens
- Breaking Benjamin – I Will Not Bow – 25 listens
- Alex Clare – Treading Water – 25 listens
- Greg Laswell – Come Back Down (f. Sara Bareilles) – 23 listens
- This year is much more House/Electronica compared to last year. Six of the top ten acts are Electronica. Last year I was listening to a lot more indie rock.
- Miles Daves shows up pretty strong in 2012, and that’s mostly off the back of listening to his Birth of the Cool on repeat a large number of times.
- Hype Machine lead to the discovery of three of the top ten songs: The Naive remix, the Fear rework and the Greg Laswell song.