I compiled this list from the internets on the hardware inside the various revs of the iPhone and iPod touch.
- iPhone 8GB – Samsung S5L8900 (ARM11) 400 mhz
- Touch 1st Gen: Samsung S5L8900 (ARM11) 400mhz (almost none of these exist)
- iPhone 3G 8GB: Samsung S5L8900 (ARM11) 412 mhz
- Touch 2nd Gen: Samsung S5L8900 (ARM11) 533mhz
- iPhone 3GS: Samsung S5PC100 (Cortex A8) 600mhz
- Touch 3rd Gen: Samsung S5PC100 (Cortex A8) 600mhz
General rule of thumb is the Touch is faster than the equivalent iPhone, and the latest gen of hardware has moved to the ARM Cortex architecture and a PowerVR SGX GPU (e.g. OpenGL ES 2.0). Also, the iPhone 8GB only sold (legally) in the states, although via black market channels it has shown up all over the world.